Thomas C. Brown steers the worldwide market strategy for the alternative data business of LexisNexis® Risk Solutions. He frames the vision for solution innovation that leverages the company’s vast data repository, analytic linking capabilities, and proprietary high-powered technology. Companies in more than 100 countries rely on LexisNexis Risk Solutions to make informed consumer and small business credit-risk assessments, stem financial crimes and buoy collections initiatives.
He is often called on to collaborate with global industry participants to pioneer new types of credit, watch-list screening and KYC/CDD consortia, also known as utilities, fueling the evolution of risk information ecosystems.
High-profile events, like SIBOS, select Mr. Brown to speak on the marketplace trends of financial inclusion and financial transparency and the future of risk information ecosystems. Top global media seek Mr. Brown’s commentary on these topics, too. Bloomberg TV, Bloomberg News, Caixin, Shanghai Financial News, Reuters, the Wall Street Journal and AmericanBanker often seek commentary from Mr. Brown.
Topics of Interest
Many of today's greatest societal and business issues, like money laundering, terrorism financing and a deficiency in access to credit, are related in one way or another to the lack of financial inclusion and financial transparency, according to Mr. Brown.
- Financial inclusion and financial transparency are the same issue. Economies as a whole are damaged by not having full inclusion and transparency.
- It is not well understood that when a company has an expansive view into a population of people, it can approve more people for loans and be better able to identify bad actors.
- In a slow-growth or even negative-growth environment, financial inclusion drives long-term sustainable economic growth.
- Efficiencies in compliance departments has now become a competitive advantage; improving efficiencies in an era of heavy operational workload is no longer a choice but a mandate.
- Companies cannot solve these issues alone. By coming together in a utility and sharing data, they can include more people in the financial system, know who is a bad actor and improve the customer experience.
- LexisNexis Risk Solutions is uniquely positioned to solve for this issues because of its vast repository of data, analytic linking and its high-performance technology, HPCC Systems.
Before joining LexisNexis Risk Solutions in 2004, he specialized in the development of profit-based analytics and strategies for the largest U.S. credit card issuers while a principal at a leading New York City-area consultancy. Mr. Brown also served as a senior vice president with First Data, where he managed scoring and credit risk products for issuing clients. He began his career with First of America Bank Corporation, leading loan administration, loan review, and credit policy functions at the bank and holding company levels.
Mr. Brown has more than 27 years of experience in financial services, consumer credit policy, predictive analytics, and financial crime compliance. He graduated Western Michigan University with a bachelor of business administration degree in finance. While working for First of America Bank Corporation, he completed his MBA with a concentration in financial management, also from Western Michigan University.