Jay Sultan runs the Healthcare Strategy team at LexisNexis Risk Solutions. He is a recognized thought leader in healthcare policy in numerous areas of transformation over the last 25 years, including interoperability, value-based care and reimbursement, patient engagement, consumerism, cost of care, outcomes measurement, analytics, and organizational efficiency. During his career, he has advised over 180 health plans and 50 delivery systems on value-based care, provider data management, healthcare analytics, clinical data use and interoperability. Prior to joining LexisNexis Risk Solutions, Sultan was Vice President of Healthcare Innovation and Strategy at Cognizant.
In a previous role, Jay was tasked to lead the application of the specific areas of strategy from inception to “business as usual.” In mid-2018, he was asked to focus on interoperability and has become a national thought leader and evangelist on how interoperability can practically be accomplished and how it will change healthcare. He managed the largest investment that company ever made in a new healthcare capability, working across the numerous internal teams to bring forward a powerful view of products and services that address the needs of clients. He provided direction and leadership for the product development, service delivery, and go-to-market activities related to interoperability.
Over the course of his career, Jay has provided his expertise to both payer- and provider-facing organizations and has split his responsibilities over the last 25 years between management consulting and product management. He has worked at large companies such as Cognizant and TriZetto as well as other companies such as Edifecs and MedAlign.
Jay is a technologist by background. He began his career as a developer and has worked in every role that exists in a software company, from Fortune 500 companies to startups.
Some additional areas of expertise:
- Payment Bundling pioneer, a very top national expert on episode-based provider payment methods and strategy; authored 2 patents; work with payers and providers
- Healthcare Reform expert in transformation from large group to individual; also expert in Value-Based Benefits, Healthcare Analytics, and Population Health Management
- Author and speaker with over 40 publications and presentations in the last few years
- Policy Advisor to both State and Federal agencies on payment reform
- End to end understanding of processes and IT systems used by payers and how they solve business problems
EDUCATION & ACTIVITIES
- University of Chicago, Master of Arts in Social Sciences, August 1992 [study in international economics and international law]
- University of Georgia, Bachelor of Arts Political Science, minor mathematics, June 1989